- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line twelve 1/3-cup muffin cups with foil muffin liners (or just butter if you have no liners).
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl.
- Mix mashed bananas, egg, melted butter and milk in medium bowl.
- Stir banana mixture into dry ingredients just until blended (do not overmix).
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Divide batter among prepared muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full.
- Bake muffins until tops are pale golden and tester inserted into center comes out with some melted chocolate attached but no crumbs, about 32 minutes.
- Transfer muffins to rack; cool.
Sunday, February 28, 2010
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins!
Time to share a breakfast treat! Banana chocolate chip muffins - from Bon Appétit, March 1999. I like to substitute ½ whole wheat flour for a bit more substance (this makes it ¾ c. each whole wheat and all purpose) and ½ oil for the butter (making it ¼ c. each oil and melted butter). Also, I add vanilla or almond extract - not in the original recipe. ENJOY! Perfect for a Sunday morning with a great cup of coffee!
1½ cups all purpose flour 2/3 cup sugar 1½ teaspoons baking powder ¼ teaspoon salt 1 cup mashed ripe bananas; about 2 large (you can also add 1 T. lemon juice to bananas to keep from oxidizing) 1 large egg ½ cup unsalted butter, melted ¼ cup milk ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips ½ tsp. vanilla or almond extract (optional)